Monday, August 17, 2009

It's Zoo Week

On the blog.

We always liked going to the zoo, and one of our field trips was to the Bronx Zoo.

Zoos back in the 60's weren't like they are today with natural settings and everything. Nope, it was a bunch of animals in cages being gawked at and taunted by kids and adults.

Our little band was no different. No, we didn't toss our drink cups (well, maybe a few) but the zoo sold souvenir rubber tipped spears. Naturally, every animal was threatened with a good spearing. They were all far enough away, that it was a hollow threat.

That is until we got to the jungle cats.

You see, Jack and Carl's entire reason for the zoo trip was to see the jungle cats. Penguins and monkeys were ok, but didn't have the cool factor of the big cats. And the stupid cats just layed there. No random roars, no frantic pacing. Nothing.

They decided to take matters into their own hands.

Remember I said the cages were just open with iron bars?

The lazy cats just nestled against the cold bars, leaving themslves exposed to a weapon of some sort. Say a rubber tipped toy spear.

Jack and Carl whacked the cat's tail. It barely flicked it's tail.

Alternately, rythmically, they began tormenting the beast by rapping on it's tail.

It leaped to it's feet, and clawed at the spears, and let out a mighty roar. Carl and Jack were frozen with fear, and may have soiled themselves.

Best school field trip EVER.
http://www.humorbloggers.com

21 comments:

Adullamite said...

If only you had let the lion out! :)

Unknown said...

Okay...but what does that have to do with you getting out of the hospital or whatever that was you were last in? No, you may not act like it never happened.

A New Yorker said...

Sounds like a metaphor for the current political situation. LOL

The Peach Tart said...

I would have soiled myself too.

vanilla said...

It was a mandrill that jumped onto the bars and screamed at me. (I was nine years old, and no, I did not deserve that. I didn't tease him, he just didn't like my looks. Precursor to my life to come.)

ReformingGeek said...

Sounds like you guys had fun! It was definitely a brown pants day.

BTW, I found you a new couch. It's on my blog.

Gianetta said...

Glad you're home; you are, aren't you?

Sandee said...

May have soiled themselves? Bawhahahahahahaha. May have? That was the best part of the trip wasn't it? I think it was. You are such an evil kind of guy. I mean that in a good way.

Have a terrific day Crotchety. :)

Anonymous said...

Wait.

We want a pic of the new Crotchety couch.

How many nurses had to quit their day job or night job because of your crotchetiness?

Your crochety audience awaits your replies! hee hee

Swirl Girl said...

and you lived to tell the tail, or tale.

brokenteepee said...

You don't mess with cats. Of any size. They will get you. It may not be immediately but they will get you.

So glad you are back home.
Goat hugs.

Donnie said...

We had the same situation here. Somehow, making things better for the animals means screwing it up for the people. I don't know about that...

shyne said...

Welcome Home!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

Unknown said...

the zoo is really the hospital, Carl and Jack are really the doctors and nurses and you are the pissed off tiger...right?

rawrrrr!

Janna said...

I'm torn between (1) feeling sad for the lion and (2) wishing there was a video of this moment loaded onto YouTube.

If only video-phones had been invented back then.

Unknown said...

Well, your Giants looked adequate (at times).

nonamedufus said...

Lions and tigers and soiled shorts, oh my...

Unknown said...

What is it they say -- different strokes for different folks????

CastoCreations said...

Just one more reason the 60s sucked I suppose. :) Not that I know from 1st hand experience. I wasn't even a glimmer in my parent's eyes yet.

But I'm glad they don't have zoos like that here anymore!

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.