Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The art of parody

Performers like Frank Caliendo make their living with parody. His spoofing of John Madden, President Bush, and countless others have made him well known and wealthy.

Good parody doesn't have to be mean spirited to be funny. It's a shame that so many think it has to be.

I have a good friend who is an acclaimed artist. Her name is Artistic --not her real name, (I think) and she gave me permission to share one of her most famous works. This has won some prestigious awards in different shows. It is done in pencil, and it's hard to believe it's not the actual famous photograph of the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906.

Photobucket

My friend Rubba (that may be his real name) also is an artist. He is a master modelmaker, and his model cars command big money. As a joke, he did a parody of Artistic's painting. It so captured the essence of a good parody, I thought it deserved to be shared, too.

Photobucket

I can't look at it without laughing. And Artistic laughed the loudest when she first saw it.

Parody at it's finest.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes the more simple a parody is done, the more effective it is. Both of your artist friends featured here are rather brilliant!

Rubba said...

SHE STOLE DAT SHIT FROM ME!!!. . lol. . .

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

I enjoyed both of these and love your style of writing. Great blog.

Da Old Man said...

Thank you for all the kind words.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this post. Your friend is an amazing artist. The parody sketch is a riot :)

shyne said...

How cool is that!

Kudos to both Artistic and Rubba!

memphisdonna said...

Hey Old Man ~ great post!!! Rubba's drawing always makes me laugh!!!
And Artistic's original is fantastic!!!

Anonymous said...

LMAO... that was hilarious.

bchbear said...

I love those pictures, just need more cowbell lol