Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Sock it to me?

That was the phrase that won the Presidential election of 1968.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ItU6tkdF2A

Richard Nixon appeared on one of the top sketch comedy shows of the day (one of the greatest of all-time, really.) Laugh-in had the effect of humanizing him, and made him into an electable candidate. He went from a punchline of many jokes to almost lovable. This was the first time such a tactic was used.

Today, appearing on TV programs is a staple part of the campaign. A week or so ago, John McCain appeared on WWE Wrestling (you can't make this up.) Hosting, or at least being a part of a comedy or funny talk show is almost routine for presidential candidates. Obama has been on Letterman to do a Top Ten List, and last night it was Hillary's turn.

In case you missed it, here is her list:

10. "We have more Dakotas than every other country combined."

9. "Canadian bacon: soggy and chewy; American bacon: crisp and delicious!"

8. "Thanks to the internet, I can order new pantsuits 24/7. There's your pantsuit joke, Dave. Are you happy now?"

7. "232 years and not one cookie shortage."

6. "TiVo."

5. "Did I mention the soup? Mmm, soup."

4. "Did you know former President Teddy Roosevelt was an American?"

3. "Where else can you get a car painted for $29.95?"

2. "Is this the part where I say, 'Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!'?"

1. "Apparently anyone can get a talk show."


Apparently, making a fool of oneself is the way to win the hearts of Americans.

I wonder if either party is thinking about Carrot Top for 2012?

Photobucket

2 comments:

Babchi said...

I know humor is suppose to be important at times of strife, but I really would prefer my president not show his/her idiot side...why aren't they meeting with the returning warriors from Iraq or Afganistan? Where are their visits to the poor? I am so disappointed with the choices left to vote for...any advice? anyone?

Nicole said...

Im afraid I might have to choose Carrot Top for the next one...as for this one I am clueless.