Sunday, May 11, 2008

How far can I throw a laptop?

Even though I have been online for over 10 years, I'm still a technological knucklehead--little more than a caveman with a computer.

Photobucket

Fortunately, over the years I have mellowed quite a bit. When I am confronted with a computer problem, I no longer am this guy:

Photobucket

but I am more a civilized caveman.

Photobucket

To quote the late, great, Phil Hartman, as Cirroc, Caveman Lawyer, "I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me!"

So, how does all this tie in on this fine early Sunday morning? And why am I babbling on about my lack of computer ability?

Simple. I have been trying to be a better blogger. I also believe that some of my ideas are pretty logical, and I'd like to spread the word. Rather than stand at the town square, mount a soapbox, and become a public orator/gadfly, I am using the technology of today. Besides, where would I even find a soapbox, let alone one sturdy enough to support my substantial weight.

In public, I could be the victim of rocks, rotten food, or who knows what tossed at me, while here, the worst I have to dodge is some angry pixels.

Ok, Rambling Old Guy, back on track.

Yesterday, in order to promote my blogsite, and take over the known universe and spread peace and joy and heal mankind through my logical ideas, I decided to get a widget from entrecard. I was assured this would help me accomplish my goals. So I got one. So far, so good. I even figured out how to put it on my blog. It's over on the left somewhere. Yes, the Old Man has been officially dragged into the 21st century. I'm acquiring some techie skills.

Last night, I got some requests to advertise here. Seems like a good idea. Again, so far, so good. I logged into my entre account, approved, and all was right in the world.

Got up this morning, got some more requests in my inbox. Ok, I'll go check them out.

I can't get into my account. It said my password was incorrect. WTH? OK, maybe I made a mistake. So I tried again. Nada.

Now, I tried to request to reset my password. Considering my memory, I probably forgot my password, or something equally dopey.

I get the message The email address given does not exist

I tried to login from the address given to me in an email sent to me from them.

I am now totally verklempt. I have no idea what to do. I've evolved enough to realize that smashing the computer won't help. Yelling at it makes me feel a little better, but it still doesn't work. I tried some mild cussing--still nothing. Dropping the "F" bomb, again, fruitless.

I've given up for now. I'll try again later.

BTW, with a good slide afterward due to a low projectory, I'll bet I can toss my laptop 25 feet, easily.

Just sayin'

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Lol ...isn't it funny how things just vanish into "internet" world..I know it's really not funny and your probably cursing me off right now..Oh well

savvy said...

so true, my friend. I've had to change accounts and lose email addreses due to password mishaps.

Sav

Babchi said...

But just where would you be without he fun of 'puting?

SimplyBillie said...

How did you get this problem solved? Did you have to create a new account? Apparently, my own email does not exist within the Entrecard system anymore...

Anonymous said...

I don’t usually reply to posts but I will in this case. I’ve been experiencing this very same problem with a new WordPress installation of mine. I’ve spent weeks calibrating and getting it ready when all of a sudden… I cannot delete any content. It’s a workaround that, although isn’t perfect, does the trick so thanks! I really hope this problem gets solved properly asap.