Monday, September 11, 2006

A Day of Solemn Remembrance

September 11, 2001.

Much has been written about it. But no matter how much I read or watch, the pain never seems to dull.

On that day, a good friend of mine (A PA Cop) was in the Towers and tried to help others. If you see the most recent movie (I don't remember the name, because I won't go to see it) they mention my buddy's name (Jimmy) as one of the guys who was trapped and they were trying to get to him. They never did get to him in time. He was a highly decorated member of the Port Authority Police force and my daughter is a good friend of his son.

At my job (I'm a tutor) I had a brother and sister who lost their Dad in the attack. I didn't know them before the loss, but I met them afterwards. They were both perpetually sad, it seemed. They never expressed it openly, but I never saw them smile. Their dad wasn't one of the heroes, but instead was a victim. He was a guy trying to make a better life for his family. He was at a business card exchange when the planes hit. He was just going about his daily life, doing what he could to support his family.

I can't imagine how bad it must be for the kids and other family members who survived. Not only did they lose a loved one, but they are constantly reminded of it and today must be one of the worst days of the year. My buddy's kid is most likely going to be at some ceremony today, I'm sure. I hope this helps him heal in some way. I hope all the children and family members find peace.

0 comments: