Monday, June 16, 2008

But I Want To Be Elitist

I want to be considered better than everyone else. One relative who researched our family geneology said that we were descended from royalty back in the old country, and I'm going with that. Personally, I've never heard of King Crotchety I, but they didn't keep the best records back then. And he also mentioned that we were run out of the country and went into hiding. While I patiently await my ascendecy back to the throne of whatever city state I am destined to rule, I'll continue to blog about whatever happens to amuse/annoy me that particular day.

That is the background of what has me in such a dither this morning. And believe me, I am so highly dithered. I was watching TV, and noted the BMW commercial for used BMWs was very annoying. Doesn't matter which used BMW commercial, they are all annoying. I guess it's an attempt at humor, but I must be missing the joke. In the meanwhile, I see Kia and Hyundai commercials, and I crack up. I so totally get them.

So, now, I'm in a quandry. BMWs, even used ones are damned expensive. I scanned some ebay listings, and even a used 5 year-old BMW will cost as much or more than a new Hyundai.

So what does all this mean?

They target ads to their audience. A used BMW ad is geared to someone who will likely buy a used BMW. The buyer of a used car, generally, is someone who would buy it new, if they had the cash. Donald Trump doesn't search the want ads for a used Maybach with low mileage. For those "regular people" who are reading this, a Maybach is an uber Mercedes. They cost around a half million bucks. They don't advertise them during Spongebob or the Simpsons. Heck, they don't advertise them on TV at all. People who can afford them, don't spend a lot of time watching TV.

So how does this all tie in? Simple. Because I don't "get" BMW ads, that means they are targeting them to others. I love Hyundai ads. Hyundais are relatively inexpensive, so they are marketed to the masses.

I don't want to be one of the masses. I want to be an elitist, dammit.

Photobucket


None of the plebian masses were hurt during the making of this post. However, in a jealous rage, I may have "keyed" a Bentley.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I truly don't get why anyone would want a BMW... gah... horrid little cars!
Then again, I want a Volkswagen Bug, so, people probably think I'm bloody insane, also.

Da Old Man said...

When I worked in the auto parts business (yeah, it seems I've worked in every business) we called them Bavarian Manure Wagons.

:)