Friday, August 11, 2006

He's back

Who?

Evander Holyfield, that's who.

At the age of 43, he is back in the ring. Evander, former heavyweight champ has a fight later this month, and he has his sights set on the title.

I doubt he needs the cash. So why would a 43 year old man willingly get beaten up? I'm sure he believes that he still has the skills so that he doesn't get hurt too badly.

All I can assume is that he is going through some sort of mid-life crisis. At 43 he is relatively young, and probably is bored.

If it were me, I'd develop some other interests. Life is just full of options. Why just keep pursuing the same one? It's not like he never achieved his dream. He was the champion of the world. And he held the title for a while.

This is truly puzzling. I'm sure he will be releasing some incredibly lame excuse for getting back into the squared circle.

My top choices for the lame excuse Evander will use:
1. The division needs a great champion. I saw no one else was around.
2. I'm still in great shape.
3. I missed the competition.
4. I wanted to prove that I still have the skills
5. yadda, yadda, yadda.

It's funny how some athletes know when to hang 'em up, and others just hang on until we just can't take them anymore.

I know my respect for Holyfield as an athlete will not change based upon how he does at age 43. I highly doubt that he can ever achieve the greatness that he once exhibited. At best, he can only be a shadow of himself. Even George Foreman, the most well known of these comeback athletes, was not nearly the boxer he was in the old days. The "new" George is fun, but the old one was one of the greatest to ever lace up a pair of boxing gloves.

0 comments: