Wednesday, April 30, 2008

According to Jim

According to Jim is in its 8th season, and I have no idea why. Are we that starved for entertainment that such a plain vanilla show just goes on and on?

Here's the part I don't get, though. I like the entire cast. Jim Belushi has been in some movies I liked, and whenever he is on a talk show, he is worth watching. He's a funny guy. I like the guy who plays Andy (notice I'm not even interested enough to look up names, thats how boring the show can be,) Jim's wife, and all the ancillary characters. But, put it all together, and it's "family entertainment," which is code for boring.

I don't even mind family entertainment. I love the Simpsons, which is family fare. Maybe I'm just tired of shows where Dad is a buffoon, made fun of by the sister-in-law, wife, kids, and whoever is in the neighborhood. This doesn't bother me with the Simpsons because well, Homer is a cartoon. I can suspend belief. I should be able to do the same with Jim, but I just can't. I can only assume I dislike it because it's just so formulaic: conflict, Jim over reacts, wife or other family member gets upset, Jim saves the day, everyone hugs after wife or family members get out an "Oh, Jim."

Yawn. I can't remember ever having a LOL moment while watching the show. I'm embarassed to say I've watched quite a few episodes when there was even worse on elsewhere.

I'd have to rate the show a rather disappointing 4.8



It's been a while, so here's a quick review of my ratings system:
10--a prime show. The Sopranos or 24 would rate a 10.
9-- definately worth watching. Think South Park or Seinfeld re-runs. Not as funny as the first time, but still great TV fare.
8-- Pretty darn good stuff. If you can't be home, you'd consider setting up the VCR or DVR. Some solid 8's would be Earl, or Everybody Hates Chris.
7-- Not quite good enough to record. But you can look forward to watching. The Office is the first show that comes to mind as a 7.
6--Now we get into the shows that are ok, but only a first choice if other shows are re-runs. You won't mind watching a 6 at a different time. Britcoms are 6's.
5-- Think of a movie you liked, but have seen a dozen times or more.You'd choose the movie over the program, then the program is a
5. Mash and almost everything on TVLAND has become a 5.
4--Crappy show, but with some redeeming quality, like it features hot chicks. Any show with Pam Anderson would be a 4.
3--Only worth watching if the only alternative is infommercials. Fishing shows are 3.
2-- About the same as a good infommercial. QVC is a 2.
1-- Infommercials, unless they are The Knife Collector Show. They sell swords!

0 comments: